When summer approaches, we want to make sure we either look or stay fit while we go out to enjoy the perks of the season. However, due to the changes in weather, there are a few considerations you should keep in mind as you continue your fitness journey during the hot summer months.
Hydration is important to optimize your workout and achieve your personal goals. Also, keep in mind that your water and electrolyte intake work together for optimal body function.
- Make sure you are well hydrated before you begin your workout
- Do not wait until you are thirsty to drink water
- Always have a bottle of water with you while you are working out
The sun is at its strongest potential during the summer months. It is important to protect your skin and also be aware of your workout times. Remember, UV rays from the sun are greater when the sun is at its highest points in the day. Heat exhaustion is very common during this time, and it is best to prevent it before it’s too late.
- Wear at least SPF 30 waterproof sunblock
- Avoid exercising between the hours of 10 am and 3 pm
- If possible, workout in shaded areas
- Wear breathable clothing
Choosing where to workout is another thing to consider during the summer months. Weather, altitude, and location are all mediums that impact your performance and how you work out.
- The closer you are to sea level, the more oxygen you’ll have, and the more beneficial it will be for you during your workout.
- Moving from an indoor setting to the outdoors can be shocking to your body. Make sure you gradually transition your bodies to avoid injury and illnesses.
- Always check the weather for humidity and heat advisories before beginning your workout.
- Understand that you cannot set yourself to the same personal records when your surroundings have changed.
Summertime is meant to be a time for enjoyment and fun. Just remembering these simple tips will get you on the right track towards a worry-free summer. Here at Pumpfit, we have everything you need to stay cool this summer. Contact us today to see how you could enroll in a free class!